Sunday, May 27, 2012

37 Years

It has been a great struggle to live and breathe without always thinking about or talking about Tom. He was always such a apart of my life that it seems natural to mention him, to think about him, to love him. He has always been there.

I remember when we first met. I took a part time job at a Pic'N'Save store. (They are all Big Lots now) We couldn't stand the sight of each other. It was fun to poke at him and he at me. It didn't change until we were told that if the animosity didn't stop - one of us would be fired. Since I was temporary Christmas help and he was permanent - I knew who would go. So - I invited him to a meeting at my church. He really was a great guy. We found that we had so much in common. It was easier working together after that.

I was 18 then. He left me when I was 55. In fact, it was almost 37 years to the day that I met him. I started working in October of 1973 and Tom died in October of 2010. Through those years, I have loved him, hated him, been amazed by him, and surprised by the depth of his love. His love was so present. A look from him, a word, a touch - - and I knew all would be well.

I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment